[aprssig] 434 MHz tracking

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Aug 5 21:08:39 EDT 2007

Andrew Rich wrote:
> You know its a pity that we hams could not use the technology of easy
> radio on the ham bands.
>
> I see that a 1200 baud packet takes a seconds to send.
>
> On the weekend I was sening 20ms databursts @ 19k2 on 434 MHz at 10mW

But how fast were you moving?    In what kind of terrain.   Over what
distance?

1200 baud is much more tolerant of mobile flutter, fading and multipath
from moving vehicles than higher data rates,  because it's individual
symbols are much longer.     The differences between even 1200 and 9600
on a Kenwood D700 in motion are quite dramatic.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps