[aprssig] TM-D710A Control Program - New Goodies on D710

John Habbinga kc5zrq at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 09:05:49 EDT 2007

> 2)    The much hyped "Echolink / VOIP" support is merely 10 memories for
> DTMF sequences that can be labeled and the recognition that the 6-pin
> MiniDIN connector can be used for voice audio as well as external TNCs,
> sound cards, etc.   These 10 memory slots are apparently separate from
> another set of "DTMF" memories.

I'm glad to see the Echolink feature, even if its implementation is rather
basic.  I think that the somewhat built-in soundcard interface might be
useful for some other digital modes.  For example, if the TNC turns out to
be inadequate for regular packet, then the soundcard interface could be used
with AGW-Packet Engine software to run Winlink email clients without the
need for an additional black box between the computer and the radio.  ATV
applications also come to mind.

> 4)    The unit apparently includes a DVR (digital voice recorder) perhaps
> as an option. An "AUDIO" configuration menu has several options for this
> device.

It looks like this requires an optional module VGS-1 or "Voice Guide and
Storage" module.

> 6)    Cross band repeater mode has ID that can be selected in either morse
> or voice

Excellent.  I wonder if this can be controlled remotely with DTMF?

> 9)    "APRS/Navitra" menu (I thought Navitra, the Japanese forerunner to
> APRS and the original design target of the D700 was now history, but
> apparently it still lives.) has 6 sub-menus.

I think the Japanese version of the D700 used NAVITRA.  Now it is just
built-in to radios destined for all the various markets.  Is it me, or does
"NAVITRA" sound like a "male enhancement" pill?

One feature that you left out, that sounds really cool, is that it will
transmit the frequency programmed in the control side of the radio over
APRS.  This way a person will have the ability to easily switch over to the
voice frequency.  In another forum, it has been suggested that there is a
"one-touch" automatic tune feature on the D710.  So when it receives an APRS
packet that contains a voice frequency, you would just press the button and
automatically be on the APRS user's voice frequency.  This certainly would
be useful while mobile when it would be dangerous to reprogram your radio
while moving.