[aprssig] V-Alert was D700 Tip.

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 1 14:11:20 EDT 2007

> Message: 14
> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:33:40 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Steve Noskowicz <noskosteve at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] V-Alert  was D700 Tip.
>
>   CAUTION.  I'd like to know if anyone actually
> *measured* a radio to verify that "Split PL tones"
> actually is done.  It is inconsistent with the
> intended practice (Obviously not impossible, but not
> practical for actual use - I won't detail why).
>
>     I haven't checked all of my radios, but at least
> one (TH-F6A) that I verified (with measurements)
> because I wondered about this, only 'allows' you to
> infer that you can *use* different T & R tones in
> "CT"
> mode.
>   Detail:
>     When the radio is set for "T" in the display (Tx
> tone only), you can set a frequency in the menu and
> that tone freq is transmitted (as we would think).
>     NOW...
>     When the radio is set for "CT" in the display
> (Rx
> or tone squelch), you can indeed set a *different*
> frequency in the menu.   However, that tone freq is
> *BOTH* transmitted AND used for tone squelch.
>    Now I have to go and check the 706 and the
> TS-2000,
> but I will be suprised if either allows two
> different
> frequencies in "CT" mode.
>
> 73, Steve, K9DCI

Single tone CTCSS is precisely how it is described in
the manuals for all of the Kenwood radios though
admittedly they don't specify that it is both TX/RX
CTCSS.  Tone "T" and CTCSS "CT" modes are independent
modes with independent settings.  However, CTCSS mode
uses symmetrical tones for TX and RX.  None of the
Kenwoods are capable of true split tone operation.
You either get TX tone/RX open or TX/RX identical
tones but nothing else.