[aprssig] APRS Coverage in Key West

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Apr 29 21:27:55 EDT 2007

On Apr 29, 2007, at 6:50 PM, Joel Maslak wrote:

> I doubt that the stations in question are violating any rules.
> That said, I will play devil's advocate for a bit...
>
> That said, the rules do specify that you can't get paid for
> operating (although setup is not specified), nor can a station
> usually transmit communication on the behalf of an employer.  So
> the control operator probably should be someone who doesn't work at
> the county.  (97.113.a.2-3)

I disagree with that assessment, though as I say, in this case it is
a volunteer. However, for many years it was the county comm director
who was the licensee. This rule applies to actual operating, not
serving as the legal control operator for an "automatically
controlled telemetry station".

> In addition, one of the prohibited forms of communication is
> (97.113.a.5): "Communications, on a regular basis, which could
> reasonably be furnished alternatively through other radio services."

Is there a single communication in APRS, or for that matter ham radio
in general, that cannot be furnished through other radio services?
With cell phones, wireless internet, marine HF, FRS, et. al., all of
ham radio is illegal under this rule!

Steve K4HG