[aprssig] Re:FS - Mobile Wifi Stompbox

Bernard Tyers bernard.tyers at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 16:29:51 EDT 2007

Site back up:

"A Stompbox is a home-brew WWAN (Wireless Wide Area Network) router.
In more human terms, it's a compact little box that gets data from
cellular towers and re-shares it for multiple computers to use.

To use it all one does is plug it in to the cigarette lighter of a
car (or a 12v supply when at home). It automatically boots up and
links in to a cellular data service, turning itself into an access
point. Turn on your laptop, join the network and voila -- you're on
the net! It's just like using a hotspot (such as they have at
Starbucks and airports), but it goes anywhere you car goes. Some
people have even hauled them around in backpacks to make themselves
into a walking network access site."

hth,
bernard