[aprssig] APRS Coverage in Key West

Paul Zawada engineerz at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 14:48:19 EDT 2007

On 4/27/07, Steve Dimse <steve at dimse.com> wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2007, at 10:06 PM, Richard Sharp, KQ4KX wrote:
>
> > Perhaps "the county" should be using a 150 MHz frequency then...
>
> Why? Having it on APRS is nothing but a benefit to amateur radio.
> Maybe not as much of a benefit as Bob would like, but a benefit
> nevertheless!

Maybe because it's getting really close to violating FCC rules.  If
amateur radio operators are not maintaining or actively using the
stations, it almost sounds like the county is improperly using amateur
frequencies to conduct non-amateur radio related business.  While
there may be a side benefit to amateur radio, that doesn't justify the
county conducting it's business in a frequency band that it's not
elligble to be licensed in.  And I would assert that when the
situation gets to the point where the county won't adopt commonly
accepted amateur operational practices (as they continue to evolve)
because it doesn't serve the county's business objectives, they've
crossed the line into unauthorized operation.

If the stations are owned and operated by the county, who's callsign
are they operating under and why doesn't that person or club get a say
in how they are operated?

--zawada