[aprssig] APRS Coverage in Key West

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Fri Apr 27 11:14:12 EDT 2007

On Apr 26, 2007, at 4:59 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

>> I'll be traveling down to Key West next month...
>> Looking at the current IS stream I'm not seeing any
>> digipeaters or anything down there.
>
> I think it has a WIDE,WIDE,WIDE,WIDE system because the TNC's at
> remote WX stations are acting as the digis, and to upgrade to
> New-N would require new hardware.

Correct

> If they simply made the old
> TNC's WIDE1-1 only, then they would me minimally New-N
> compatible, but only for 1 hop.

The county has no interest in APRS in general, they simply use this
for a very specific purpose, to get weather to the EOC in Marathon
during hurricanes and other emergencies.

> Their primary mission is to get the WX data to the Hurricane
> Center in Miami, so there has not been a lot of incentive to
> upgrade.

No, that is secondary to providing the data to their EOC in Marathon.
With no digis over 100 feet in the Keys, the path to Miami is
unreliable.

> But for disaster response, I would think that
> upgrading to the higher network efficiency of the New-N system
> could be justified for incoming first responders with APRS....

There simply is no interest in their part. I tried years ago (when
there still were a dozen local users) without success. Now there are
no local RF users, so there is even less reason.

> Fortunately, running W,W,W,W on a linear string of digis in such
> a sparse area does not have the disadvantages of dupe
> multiplication that it has in 2dimensional systems elsewhere.
> SO maybe try W,W,W once you get south of Miami.

Few packets will get through to Miami and the Internet System. There
is no IGate here, and no local RF users. Getting packets up there
depends on propagation, it is not unusual to shut down for days. Look
at any of the weather stations for a visual display of this (this is
the Key West one):

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=KQ4AZ-1&last=240

Bottom line, turn off the APRS rig, there are much better things to
do here than play ham radio anyway!

Steve K4HG