[aprssig] Signal Locator WEB page

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Apr 26 11:17:15 EDT 2007

WEB based APRS Direction Finder

APRS has a rich set of Direction Finding tools that have not
been implemented in many APRS clients.  As such, these powerful
techniques are rarely used by most operators.

However, if we had a WEB based Direction Finder DISPLAY system
tied into the APRS-IS, then we would not only leverage the power
of APRS DFing, but then ALL ham radio operators in the area
could see the developing solution in real time and we would get
10 times as much data input!

Please see the OMNI-Dfin technique in APRS:
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/dfing.html

The web page would draw the map with the overlaping signal
strength contours reported by APRS packets.  Browser based
stations could also enter their report on the same web page and
add to the display of contours.

This narrows the area down very rapidly to a mile or so.

Any takers?  It really does work.  And all it needs is input
from people that have or HAVE NOT heard the signal.  A reliable
NOT-HEARD report is even more valuable than a heard report,
because it blacks out a larger area of where the signal
cannot-be.  Enough of these, and you can eliminate so much area,
that it is easy then to focus mnore carefully on where the
signal may be.

I sure wish I knew how to write active web pages like that. TO
me, this would be the biggest asset for HAM radio 3rd to
tracking, and Weather on APRS.

Bob, WB4APR