[aprssig] Tactical call signs

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Apr 24 10:53:10 EDT 2007

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, John Habbinga wrote:

> This might be legal as long as you don't setup your path for digipeating and
> you don't use APRS messaging through an I-Gate to RF.
>
> > Yep.  Legal.  Not only that, you can even identify in Morse code
> > every 10 minutes and keep everything tactical.  That satisfies the
> > FCC identification rules.  Of course that last would probably be
> > considered bad practice, but it's certainly allowed.

It's legal in _any_ case.  In the last case I wouldn't be
transmitting on RF at all, the igate would.  For the first, I only
have to identify my own transmission, not my digipeated
transmission.

Yes, there's obviously a problem here regarding how the igate or the
digipeater might authenticate the packet as coming from a ham, but
it's not a rules violation for the original person sending the
packet to send it with tactical calls and/or CW ID every 9.x
minutes.

You obviously think otherwise.  Please quote the sections in the
FCC rules.