[aprssig] Tactical call signs

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Apr 23 15:37:59 EDT 2007

Herb,
I agree completely with all of your assessments about using
Tactical Calls for area digipeaters and for using SSID's.

And if it is a home station, with a hamshack and ham in
residence, it should be indicated as a HOME station SYMBOL too
(even if it does support W1-1 digipeating).  If it is W1-1, then
put that in its postion text.  For the DIGI peaters with
tactical calls, just put the real call in the posit text as
well.  Please use the format receommended in the New-N Paradgigm
that are found on fix14439.html

Typically for a tactical digi, I woiuld use this text:

W2,SSSn-N AARC Club W7XYZ at arrl.net W7ABC

Which recoginizes the preferred 10x10x8 word boundaries and
provides all important information:

W2,SSSn-N
AARC Club
W7XYZ at ar...
But all of it is visible on any APRS client or can even be seen
on the D700 by pressing the PMON button.

Bob, WB4APR