[aprssig] APRS event philosophy?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Fri Apr 13 15:14:32 EDT 2007

On Apr 13, 2007, at 1:57 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> footnote, in original APRS, you could connect a half dozen or
> more laptops to the single TNC via 2-conductor zip cord and
> pushpins at every desk in just minutes.

In today's APRS (if you're using xastir, anyway) you can do that,
only faster and without the wires.

We ran an ad-hoc 802.11 in my truck for the balloon chase last
weekend.  My laptop had the TNCs (APRS on two frequencies) and shared
that data via APRS server connection to another laptop in the
vehicle.  Would work just the same at the command post, and not all
the recipients have to be xastir of course; anything that can talk to
an APRS-IS server can get the data.

-Jason
kg4wsv