[aprssig] Why APRS mobile?

Brian B. Riley brianbr at mac.com
Thu Apr 12 13:58:15 EDT 2007

You are both right here .... strictly speaking nowhere near everyone
owns a laptop, but the demographics of computer ownership for the
last six years have show and steady unwavering trend towards laptops.

  There was a recent survey from a very large university ( I just
cannot dredge up which one right now) that has done a 'technology
survey' of incoming freshmen for the last 10 years. The first year of
the survey it started off with 70% of them bringing a computer of
some kind, broken up 96% desktop/4% laptop. Ten years later, in the
Fall of 2006, the incoming freshman (some 2000+ I think) had 99%
bringing computers and 89% of them were laptops. Apple Computer have
announced several years ago that sales of laptops had surpassed
desktops and that margin is increasing, I believe Dell has made
similar announcements.

Bob's contention is not exactly right, but its pretty close to dead
on in the geek community! ... come on ... how often do you see
without his laptop and/or palmtop?????

---
cheers ... 73 de brian  riley,  n1bq , underhill center, vermont
   <http://web.mac.com/brianbr/>  Tech Blog
   <http://www.wulfden.org/TheShoppe.shtml>
    Home of the
       K107 Serial LCD Controller Kit   FT817 Power Conditioner Kit
       Tab Robot Laser Tag Kit            MSP430 Chips and Connectors
       Propeller Robot Controller         SX48 "Tech Board" Kit