[aprssig] Why APRS mobile?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Apr 12 10:32:15 EDT 2007

> How come you want to run a TNC mobile ?
> Why not just use a tinytrack or opentracker ?

Because the essence of ham radio is two-way communications.

Because the essence of APRS is situational awareness.  Having a
channel that is the be-all-end-all of information on all ham
radio activities going on in the immediate area.

Trackers are great assets at public service events where the
hams need to track all kinds of vehicles that often do not have
a HAM on board.  These devices are able to be quickly installed
at the start of the event and collected afterwords.  I have
nothing against trackers at all.  There are many many
applications for them and everyone should have a few...

But it makes little sense in a ham radio network concept to
encourage active ham radio operators to be driving around
transmitting only without listening, without reciving any local
info, without any ability to receive messages or be called in
case needed, basically without participating in the network they
are using.

APRS is about receiving, displaing and exchanging tactical
real-time  useful information amongst a network of active ham
radio operators that are doing something on ham radio.  Of
ccourse it is nice to have something to receive, so someone has
to transmit too.  So nothing wrong with trackers, but hams
should be encouraged to install two-way communications where
possible so that they are a useful asset to the network, instead
of just a noise source with no means of being contacted.

Just my 2 cents.
WB4APR, Bob