[aprssig] Tiny Trak 3 config?

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Apr 11 22:16:27 EDT 2007

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> I see many operator errors on TInyTracks in my area.  Three are
> beaconing a wasteful STATUS packet saying "TinyTrack3 v 1.1" in
> addition to another status text...  One is beaconing every 30
> seconds for a total of over 100 packets per hour, etc...

The "TinyTrak3 v 1.1" could be shorted to just TT3 and it could be set to go
out e.g. every 10 beacons. Going to a compressed beacon and enabling
SmartBeaconing will really help too. Every 30 seconds no matter what is a bit
extreme.

> Does the Tiny Track have more than one status Text?

There are "primary" and "secondary" settings, with each having its own status
text. Users can switch between primary and secondary by adding a switch to the
TT3. When the TT3 is first powered up, it will make a transmission with the
callsign & "TinyTrak3 v1.00" or whatever version, along with no position. You
could possibly be seeing that, or the owner could have a switch to toggle
between the primary and secondary settings. Those two groups of settings could
have different callsigns, different paths, different status texts, different
SmartBeaconing settings and so on. It is also possible to set it to "send the
status text separate" instead of sending it along with a position beacon.

If you download www.byonics.com/tinytrak/tinytrak3.zip it contains the TT3
manual along with the configuration program. You can run the config program
even if you don't have a TT3 attached, but the manual also shows a screenshot
of the configuration program. I see the manual shows an example of WIDE2-2
for the path, but the actual  default path in the configuration program itself
is now WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 with MIC-E enabled, but it leaves it up to the owner to
enable SmartBeaconing. Once enabled, the default settings are a very
reasonable 5 mph / 30 mins for the slow speed and 65 mph / 90 seconds for the
fast speed with the proper settings for corner pegging already entered.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH