[aprssig] SSID for RF only Station with backup power

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Apr 9 18:17:26 EDT 2007

> > Given that, I think it would be interesting to pull
> > up on the map... the other "APRS Emergency Op Stations"
> > ... thus the question about a unique symbol or SSID.
>
> Personally I don't think those stations need anything
> special ... they will be the ones that show up on your
> screen as still active under those circumstances.

True, but its better to not wait until the emergency happens to
find out who is prepared for an emergency...

It is true, that we cannot account for every possible
combination of emergency power and station type, I think it is
worthwhile to have an alternative energy designation.  I was
going to look for one in the table, but we are just running
out...

So I propose the following:

* Being there are less than 7 APRS symbols left
* Being that there are many many more ideas to go
* Therefore, APRS must expand its symbol set by using OVERLAYS
* We need concurrence from all authors on receipt of an overlay:
  - Receipt on all existing "overlyable characters works"
  - Receipt on any other symbol will not break anything
  - Eventually receipt of the overlay may be displayed somehow
  - An overlay on a base symbol can trigger a different symbol

I will post this proposal to the APRS1.2 addendum page:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/aprs12.html

Bob, WB4APR