[aprssig] SSID for RF only Station with backup power

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Apr 9 14:47:36 EDT 2007

> > ... APRS station with indefinite backup power.
> > ... it would be valuable to differentiate these
> > stations either with a unique SSID or map symbol
>
> I'd like to do something like that.... I think I will
> look around for an alternative energy station symbol.
>
> Probably a HOUSE symbol with a slanted solar panel
> and a windmill out back?

Actually, the original APRS allowed OVERLAY characters on -any-
symbol for just this purpose.  But by 1996, newer APRS clones
just went with fixed ICONS instead of the original vector
symbols, and had to do overlays as special cases.  Those authors
did not want to have 36 exceptions for 90 different symbols.

I sure wish all APRS programs supported OVERLAYS on ALL SYMBOLS!
Then we would have over 36 attributes per symbol in addition to
the original 8.  But most software displays not even the 8.
Just a simplistic fixed color ICON.

Is there anyway that Windows programs that use only fixed
symbols could be upgraded to display all possible overlays on
any symbol?

Bob, WB4APR