[aprssig] SSID for RF only Station with backup power

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Apr 9 14:13:56 EDT 2007

> I'm very close to bringing on line a full time RF only APRS
> station with indefinite backup power.   It's my belief that
> a station like this is getting back to the core essence of
> what APRS (and Amateur Radio) is all about.  As such, I
> think it would be valuable to differentiate these stations
> either with a unique SSID or map symbol
> ... or both.

I'd like to do something like that.  Last time I brought it up,
and proposed an alternative energy symbol, I got a lot of
negative feedback.  But since I am bringing up a solar/wind
power system at home and want to have APRS supporting efforts at
energy conservation, I think I will look around for an
alternative energy station symbol.

Probably a HOUSE symbol with a slanted solar panel and a
windmill out back?

Bob, WB4APR