[aprssig] APRS -- Chicago to Mackinac Island sailboat race

Bill Borgstrom bill_borgstrom at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 9 07:33:32 EDT 2007

Hi Keith

  After I got the Python script working I started working on Jason kg4wsv Perl script.  He had a few bugs but I got his script partially working.  It sends one packet and stops (you can't just sleep()  in between packets unless you close the socket).

  Someone else is going to provide me with code to put the boat position reports in a database.  I just have to get the data every 20 minutes and sent out a packet.  The Orbcomm reports come in once an hour.  The boats in the race have the option of renting the equipment (about half do).

  73 Bill

Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh at rac.ca> wrote:
    Bill N9TN wrote...

> It was N9TN-1

It looks like you had success...

www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=N9TN-1&units=metric
www.findu.com/cgi-bin/raw.cgi?call=N9TN-1&time=1

and no errors showing, which is good...
www.findu.com/cgi-bin/errorlist.cgi?call=N9TN-1&last=24

Have you come up with an automated procedure to translate the
Orbcomm data and gate it or is there still a manual process there?
How often does the Orbcomm data get emailed to you? Does the
owner of each sailboat have to purchase the equipment or is
Orbcomm donating it for the race? I don't recall if this is on one
vessel or if it's going to be on every sailboat in the race.

  Oops... I nearly replied direct to you instead of the list. I received
two copies of your message. It looks like you CCd a reply direct to
me as well as the list.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH