[aprssig] Deviation meters

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Fri Apr 6 01:17:53 EDT 2007

Ray McKnight wrote:

>>Like yourself, I have a service monitor, a Motorola R2400, but we're
>>amongst a lucky minority.
>>
>>I think that an oscilloscope is the most useful tool one can have for
>>making audio adjustments, and with software scopes available, such a
>>tool is within the reach of most.
>>
>>Ray vk2tv
>>

>The sad reality is that 90% of US Hams are not accessing APRS
>Via RF, but the Innerdnet.  Yes, simple basic test equipment is
>Useful for setting things like deviation.  Most Hamfests *used*
>To have test benches set up to do stuff like that.
>
>In the US, the vast majority of APRS Hams are No-Code Technician's,
>And the use of o-scopes and service monitors is well beyond their
>Level of skill.  If they won't invest in a VHF radio/TNC, why bother
>With test equipment?
>
>Sadly, 99.9% of Hams are more concerned with the number of minutes
>In their cell phone plan, not their deviation on APRS.  Find a way
>To make their cell phone work better and they'll pay attention.
>
>This is why not a single solitary APRS message was sent from
>Downtown New Orleans over the sole surviving Digi during the
>Aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.  And that Digi was up at like
>550ft!
>
>So as an Emergency Service, Amateur Radio might as well
>Be a drum and smoke signals...

If I had not worked in the two-way radio repair industry for thirty
years, the last thirteen for myself, I probably would not have test
equipment. My eyes prevent me from doing commercial repairs anymore but
I kept one service monitor plus the CRO and other assorted small items
to allow me to repair and align my own amateur equipment.

I have one user on VHF on my packet bbs, and that same user is also the
only other APRS user in these parts. However, I'm not going to let that
be a disincentive to me installing an APRS digi to cover part of the
most significant highway in this country - that's country, not county!
If the digi does nothing else it will be available for travellers
passing through. I'm also going to put in a 30m HFgate because there's a
shortage of those around VK.

My hope is that by providing facilities, rather than joining the crumble
of AR, it may promote a bit more activity. Amateurs can't use facilities
if they don't exist. Futile? Maybe, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Ray vk2tv