[aprssig] Dumb tracker question

Richard Amirault ramirault at verizon.net
Sat Sep 30 23:19:22 EDT 2006

No, it has nothing to do with an internal magnetic compass.  It has to do
with a GPS assuming that if it is traveling then it is traveling with the
"top" towards the direction of travel (and face up) so that the arrow
displayed on the screen is pointing  toward the desired waypoint.

You would not, normally, hold a GPS in your hand with the display facing the
ground. You would not, normally, hold a GPS in your hand with the "top"
towards your stomach ("upside down")

If you setup a waypoint and the arrown screen and start moving forward the
GPS will indicate, using the arrow and a degree listing, a direction toward
the waypoint.  If you stop and then do nothing but walk (or drive)
backwards, still facing the same direction as before, the arrow will switch
direction 180 degrees.

I've only seen this with GPS units that are handheld units, not 'hockey
puck' types. And it may not happen using a handheld with an external
antenna.

Richard Amirault                                N1JDU                Boston,
MA, USA
n1jdu.org                                   "Go Fly A Kite"