[aprssig] Dumb tracker question

Richard Amirault ramirault at verizon.net
Sat Sep 30 20:27:49 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wes Johnston, AI4PX"
Subject: Re: [aprssig] Dumb tracker question

> If the heading is 180 degrees wrong, maybe turning the GPS antenna on the
> car so that the cords comes out near the rear of car will help and correct
> the heading?  lol.... couldn't resist!!!
(snip)

Not as far fetched as you might think.  Many handheld GPS units will give
BEARINGS to waypoints that are 180 deg off if they are not held properly ..
that is face up with the "top" of the unit towards the direction of travel.
For instance if you set the GPS screen to show you an ARROW that points
toward the waypoint (that tell you the direction you need to travel to reach
that waypoint)  if you reverse the orientations of the GPS in your hand (put
the "top" of the unit facing you instead of facing the direction of travel)
the arrow will point 180 degrees in exactly the opposit direction you need
to go.  Similarily, if you leave the orientation of the GPS alone and just
walk backwards .. or, if in a vehicle, drive backwards, the same thing will
happen.

I discovered this when I was an active Geocacher some time ago.

Richard Amirault                                N1JDU                Boston,
MA, USA
n1jdu.org                                   "Go Fly A Kite"