[aprssig] FW: [nwaprssig] D700 UHF APRS DIGI

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Mon Sep 25 15:54:45 EDT 2006

On Sep 25, 2006, at 1:31 PM, Herb Gerhardt wrote:

> Bellow is a message of a discussion we have been having for about a
> month now on 9600 baud UHF APRS that we are experimenting with on
> the NW APRS Group Network.  It looks like we are coming up with
> another innovative more efficient APRS network.  Maybe those of you
> who are innovative and curious on helping to pioneer a more
> efficient APRS Network should subscribe to our list to follow our
> development.  Maybe some other congested areas want to give 9600
> baud a try.  I am sure Bob King K7OFT would be more than willing to
> help you get started.

If most users are D700 users, or you're using a D700 for a digi,
you're losing 4800 bits of data bandwidth every time one of them
transmits due to the obscene TX Delay on those units.  4800 bits is
quite a bit of APRS...  :(

That said, going to 9600 BPS is long overdue.  The higher losses very
well might be overcome by the fact that the packet is on the air less
time, thus less susceptible to collisions and transient noise.