[aprssig] APRS For EmComm ?

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at kd4rdb.com
Thu Sep 21 07:33:48 EDT 2006

I've written a scipt that runs in linux and coverts rino gps data to
aprs data.  It acts as a go between between rino and xastir.  It
requires that you have one rino unit as a base station that collects
position reports from over the air.  They are then downloaded and sent
forward to xastir.  We were able to track 5 users during a recent fire
in a textile plant that took DAYS to put out and required the town be
evacuated.

I also expect (but have not used in a drill yet) to be able to create
an object in aprs that represents a truck heading into an area by
giving it a speed and heading.  This way we can keep tabs on where
that truck with generators and water is after the hurricane.
Wes