[aprssig] Inexpensive Deviation Meter

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Sep 20 19:13:06 EDT 2006

Jim W4BQP wrote...

> Anyone know of a relatively inexpensive FM deviation meter?  If not, how
> does one go about setting the audio level into the transmitter to have
> an appropriate output level?

I picked up one from MFJ. It works, but the tuning is a bit fiddly.

By ear method: Turn level up and transmit (into a dummy load, of course)
and then start turning the level down until it sounds noticeably quieter and
less distorted. Turn it down some more. That should get you in the ballpark.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH