[aprssig] APRS Install doc

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Sep 20 17:07:49 EDT 2006

vk4tec at tech-software.net wrote:
> Has anyone written a procedure for starting from scratch and
> installing and configuring UI-VIEW and AGWPE ?
>
> I have had a few people wanting help but have not ever written
> anything down.

Setup and use of AGW is covered at length at:

    http://www.patmedia.net/ralphmilnes/soundcardpacket/

Don't even think about UIview until you have AGW working.  The companion
AGW Monitor utility is useful for verifying that AGW is actually
receiving and decoding packets.  AGW Monitor is a totally mindless "run
the setup program" type of install with no configuration at all.  It
automatically links to AGW and displays anything that AGW decodes.

Once you have AGW working properly, then install UIview normally.  In
"Setup, Comms Setup", select  AGW in the "Host Mode" pulldown.   UIview
should then automatically work with AGW.   You don't even need to fiddle
with COM ports, baud rate, number of data bits, handshaking, KISS
initialization commands, etc.

If you want one-click startup, an option in the AGW configuration allows
it to start other programs.  Enter the path to the UIview executable
here. Starting AGW than then automatically launch UIview as well.

[I use AGW this way to start a copy of UIview, whose UI-Scheduler then
starts three other instances of UIview (installed in three other folders
on the same machine) and logs three of them into Internet servers.  In
turn, a link to AGW is in the Startup folder of my Windows Start Menu so
that my APRS server system can recover automatically after a power
failure or accidental reboot.]

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com