[aprssig] followup on Rant about cross platform

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 18 14:40:21 EDT 2006

I respect Gregg's enthusiasm for Java, his software development
experience, and his philosophical desire for wider universality of
software generated by and for hams.  I readily concede that he has
orders of magnitude more experience with Java than I do, but that's
really the point.  Most hams developing software are more like me
than Gregg, and that drives the selection of development environment.

The idea I was trying to develop was that people developing software
for love (which is the vast majority, if not all, of amateur radio
software) have to make decisions about how to allocate their scarce
resources.  The easy decision (because developers for love tend to
want to minimize the work making their baby) is to work in what you
know, and, statistically, that's not likely to be Java (no matter how
wonderful it may or may not be).

When you talk of DSP code (e.g. the example Gregg gave of a PSK31
engine, or some other modem implementation), the likely coder is
someone who is almost certainly not from the Java world, if only
because Java isn't particularly popular for these applications,
especially in an embedded environment. While there are high
performance Java implementations on the PC platform, the same is
probably not true for, say, TMS320, SHARC, or even various 8 bit MCUs
that have been pressed into service for DSP applications over the
years.  A cursory google for "Java DSP" turns up lots of little demo
applications to show how various DSP algorithms work, and a fair
amount of stuff on how you can use Java to effectively glue together
native code DSP functions.

This is not to say that you couldn't write hard-real-time DSP code in
Java (Ii suspect you could, with sufficient resources), but rather
that, most likely, the code base they would be starting from is more
likely to be in ASM or C.  There is a lot of work involved in writing
modem code, especially to handle all the corner cases and deal with
the idiosyncracies of the surrounding environment, while still giving
good performance, and most people start with something that they know
works somewhere, and then modify it for the new platform.  As they
say, old habits die hard.

I'll also comment that in many of the DSP projects I've been involved
in, the non-determinism of timing in standard Java would make it an
out-of-the-gate non-starter, even if it were available for the target
processor.  Sure, one could probably come up with a custom
implementation of the JVM/JRE with appropriate determinism, hooks to
the hardware, etc., but then, you're not in the "write once, run
everywhere" model anymore.  I readily confess that I know next to
nothing about how one might even start doing this in Java. I
understand that there are efforts being made to create a "real-time
Java", but, it's nowhere near as mature as the existing body of
knowledge in Asm or C (better the devil you know, etc.). But this
gets back to the point about people tend to want to work in the
environment they are familiar with, which, statistically, is not Java.

So, it's a pretty bold request to ask a volunteer to take on not only
coding/porting up some sort of modem (a non-trivial task in itself,
but one that is small enough to be done in a reasonable time ), but
also to ask that they learn a whole new computing environment, with
just as many idiosyncracies as, say, Windows.  You'd probably have to
show that the new environment provides some really useful
functionality (to the volunteer) that they currently don't have
available, or that is a pain to get.  That is, it will make their job
noticeably easier if they adopt, for example, Java. An appeal to an
abstract altruism: "it will help society in the future" is a much
harder sell.  It's true you've at least got them volunteering in the
first place, so it's not a totally lost cause.  There's a similar
discussion going on in the SDR-1000 world about the adoption of a
language called Erlang.

Gosh, people are still developing applications for ham radio that are
based on MS-DOS, and probably modified from code originally written
for a Z80 running CP/M.  In that context, Java is just a young
stripling with a lot of growing left to do.  And, I see ham radio
software moving towards a more "componentized" implementation, with
cleaner interfaces among components.  I really shouldn't care what
langauge the PSK engine is written in, as long as it's available for
my platform and it has the right hooks to make it work.

Jim Lux, W6RMK