[aprssig] APRS Link

Herb Gerhardt hgerhardt at wavecable.com
Mon Sep 18 12:48:41 EDT 2006

The intent of the APRSLink feature was to allow APRS users to be able to
send and receive email while in remote areas where they do not have access
to a computer or the internet.

If those are available like when you are at home or in the office, the
notification feature of APRSLink, notifying you on APRS when you have mail
in your Winlink mailbox is still a very handy feature which does not use any
appreciable RF.  When I receive notification on APRS from WLNK-1 that I have
x messages, and I am at home, I open the AIRMAIL program and connect via the
Telenet Client, read my email and tend to it as required.  I do not use any
air time at all while at home.

This APRSLink feature is really a nice feature but keep in mind, that it
should not be used when you have other means of accessing your Winlink
email.  This is especially true in the high APRS usage areas which don't
need the additional traffic but when there is no other means of accessing
the Winlink email, it sure does come in handy.  When you are out in the
boonies (the low APRS usage areas) then again it does not present an RF
problem on APRS since RF is very sparse in those areas.

APRSLink is a neat feature but let's not abuse it.

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site:  http://www.nwaprs.info