[aprssig] PACTOR-1 Sound Card Software for LINUX

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Sep 15 09:49:00 EDT 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Ray McKnight wrote:

> Several comments have been made that WinLink "doesn't run under Linux".
> Here's a sound card software solution for Pactor-1 that runs under Linux!
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/hfterm/
>
> For those brave souls who dare go where no Ham's gone before...
> NCC-1701

The woman's bathroom of the starship enterprise, "Where no man has
gone before".

Knew about that one, and about the "hfmodem" driver for Linux by
Thomas Sailer, a soundcard driver for Linux that can do Pactor-I.

Another thing that people have done:  Run Airmail under WINE on
Linux.

One could start with just TNC control of the SCS TNC's and "hfmodem"
driver in order to do automated mail delivery.  Add more
functionality over time via the all the really-cool libraries/apps
available for Linux/Unix/MacOSX, like "hamlib".

FWIW I installed Airmail and the associated programs yesterday, so
I'll hopefully be able to answer a lot of my own questions now.
It's just _so_ hard to force myself to boot into that OS.  hi hi

One nearby ham suggested that we write a daemon instead of a GUI
package, keeping more with the mail-server and Unix approach,
leaving the mail client to whatever standard Unix mailclient people
already use.  I think I like that idea the best.  It could server
that machine and a small/medium/large network of other computers
seamlessly.  I would think auto-switchover between different types
of mail delivery should be relatively easy as well, just deliver via
whatever method is fastest and/or most reliable at the time.

Let's take any possible further discussion of this to the Linlink
mailing list (wetnet.net), a much more appropriate place.