[aprssig] GPS Display of D700 stations

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Sun Sep 10 21:05:02 EDT 2006

Curt Mills wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, Tapio Sokura wrote:
>
>> I have one of those yellow eTrexes and it accepts waypoints via $GPWPL just
>> fine. If it doesn't work for you, it might be due to the software/hardware
>> version of the GPS or the length of the waypoint name.

> Someone came up to me at the NWAPRS summer gathering yesterday and
> had one of these units.  There was no option on the screen for
> setting it to NMEA IN/OUT mode.  Just NMEA OUT.

Mine has the following settings for I/O format:
GARMIN
GARMIN DGPS
NMEA
TEXT OUT
RTCM IN
RTCM/NMEA
RTCM/TEXT
NONE

The NMEA setting has worked for me. On startup it says "1999-2002 Garmin
Corp. Multi-Lingual" and the software version is 2.20. Maybe there is a
"single-lingual" version as well that doesn't support NMEA input.. Also
looking at the Garmin changelog for the multi-lingual version, NMEA
waypoint input was implemented in software version 2.04.
http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=89

   Tapio