[aprssig] Packet Node on 144.390 ?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Sep 10 11:49:42 EDT 2006

I am all for BBS's and other conventional packet systems, but
there is no need for them on 144.39.  Put them on a dedicated
frequency (maybe 145.01) and then make sure there are some
145.01 digis on the air too.  Then one can download from the BBS
without QRM from APRS and APRS can operate without QRM from the
BBS.

The two modes are totally different.  There is no reason
whatsoever to have them on the same frequency when a simple
button push will QSY any radio for optinum use on either.

BUT, be sure and have a BEACON on the APRS frquency (DIRECT ONLY
in the DIRECT area of the BBS) that shows the BBS on the map for
those that might need it.  An object placed in the LT of a local
digi would do that nicely.  The object would be the BBS ICON and
the object text would be something like.  "145.01 MHz AARC BBS.
Join us"  This would show up nicely on the D7 and D700 displays.

De Wb4APR, Bob

Dick
> Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2006 8:07 AM
> To: aprssig at lists.tapr.org
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Packet Node on 144.390 ?
>
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Packet Node on 144.390 ?
>
> William McKeehan, KI4HDU wrote:
> > I'm really looking for reasons to give someone to NOT put a
packet
> > node (BBS or just PBBS) on 144.39.
>
> This largest reason I can think of is that packet bulletin
> board traffic
> would block time-sensitive APRS information.   Position and
> weather fall
> in this category.  Unconnected APRS packets are less than a
> second long,
> and are not retransmitted. If the channel is busy, an APRS
> station will
> delay to a set interval for fresh position or weather
> information.  If
> the channel is busy, then time-sensitive information is
> permanently lost.
>
> Each transmission is unique for those who can receive them,
and each
> APRS packet burst is separated by minute to several minutes to
allow
> others to share the channel.  With DCD taking precedence,
Connected