[aprssig] Packet Node on 144.390 ?

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Fri Sep 8 23:59:28 EDT 2006

How much APRS activity? I currently have an ALOHA Circle that is around 100
miles and a total of 279 stations in my heard list (24 hour life cycle).

Packet goals are to use packet to transfer longer messages or files, primarily
to prepare for doing such during events where such needs present themselves.

We have worked on the APRS network on 144.39 so that the local area is very
well covered; There are no packet digi's around, only a couple of high-level
"nodes" (X-1J4 I think). I was thinking that we could take advantage of the
work that has gone into the APRS network.

What I don't know is how well traditional packet would play with the existing
APRS network. If I have a node on 144.39, will it kill the APRS traffic while
it's working or would the APRS traffic be able to squeeze in.

I appreciate the feedback; I know very little about traditional packet.

--
William McKeehan
KI4HDU
Internet: mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
http://mckeehan.homeip.net

Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
     - Ralph Waldo Emerson