[aprssig] Wi-Fi Positioning System (WPS) for APRS

John Habbinga kc5zrq at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 01:24:02 EDT 2006

I was recently contracted to map out the location of every Wi-Fi
access point, in the the city where I live, for a company called
Skyhook Wireless.  They are using this data to provide a positioning
system that can be used in lieu of satellite based GPS.  I'm curious
if anyone has considered using their system to provide location data
for APRS.  Perhaps the developers of Xastir or those creating
UI-View32 plug-ins, might be able to use the developer API that
Skyhook Wireless provides.

More about Skyhook Wireless:

Founded in 2003, Skyhook Wireless has pioneered the development of the
first-ever metro-area positioning system that leverages Wi-Fi rather
than satellites or cell towers to deliver precise location data
supporting the growing market for location-based services. The Skyhook
Wi-Fi Positioning System (WPS) requires no new hardware, works indoors
and outdoors, provides an instant location and is more accurate than
current technologies in congested downtown areas. Skyhook Wireless is
headquartered in Needham, MA and is privately held.

Check out www.skyhookwireless.com and www.loki.com.  Developers check
out http://developer.skyhookwireless.com/.

--
John Habbinga, KC5ZRQ