[aprssig] desirable laptop computer features?

Dale Blanchard wa7ixk at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 31 15:12:00 EST 2006

Stephen H. Smith wrote:
> etc.
>
> Unfortunately, virtually NO consumer mass-market laptops have serial
> ports anymore. You will have to go to higher-priced business and
> specialty-market machines to get real ports.  (This is why I just paid
> USD $1500 for a new Panasonic Toughbook CF-51 15" CoreDuo laptop through
> a specialty reseller,  instead of buying a similar consumer market
> machine for under $1000.)

Fry's still sells some with serial ports.
It is there own brand ( Great Quality )
They had some for $300.00 that I missed out on.
I have one I got for $500.00, been on sale for less since.
It has 4 usb ports, one serial port, one Parrelel port.
CD writer. 40 gb drive.
No A drive tho.
When Fry's open a new store they have specials in all stores.
I use two of the 99 dollar special linux loaded tower type in my shack
along with the laptop.
The lap top is used for controlling my radios.

Dale