[aprssig] *** TNC Test CD Update - Mirror Server Now Available ***

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Oct 30 22:25:30 EST 2006

mwrobertson at comcast.net wrote:
> Scott,
>
> I just finsied the burn, and all I have on the CD is a _READme.RTF, an
> autorun.inf, and several gif files.. Autorun will not start, and the
> _READme.rtf file I can not read...Have no idea what's wrong, :-(
>
> Robbie

What vesion of what operating system are you running?    RTF (Rich Text
Format) is supposed to be a more or less portable text file format that
supports basic formatting (underline, bold, italic, etc) unlike basic
.TXT files.    It should be openable in either Windows Write, Wordpad or
MS Word if you have it.   I throught all flavors of Windows could deal
with RTF.   Apparently Microsoft is going to drop support for the .WRI
file format (nice for formatted text file READMEs) that goes all the way
back to Windows Write in Windows 3.0,  in the version of Wordpad that
comes with Vista so I thought I was going to something more
universal.....      I may have to redo the readme as an HTML file that
will open in your default web browser.

Actually the contents of the readme file are nearly the same as my web
page at:
     http://wa8lmf.net/TNCtest/index.htm

When the disk is run on a PC, it will only autorun the CD-ROM part.  (I
assume the display of files and readme DID appear automatically after
inserting the disk and waiting a few seconds.)  The audio part will not
start playing by itself as it does with a single-format purely audio CD.

To play the audio part, you will have to launch the Audio CD Player from
the Windows START menu.  Do START - Programs - Accessories -
Entertainment and launch the "CD Player" (not Media Player!).  This
should give you a panel that looks like a car stereo player with track
select, start/stop buttons and a volume control.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide

UI-View Misc Notes and FAQ