[aprssig] Where to from here for APRS ?

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Sun Oct 29 19:19:55 EST 2006

I agree that APRS will eventually die, but for different reasons.

To me, one of APRS strengths is it's single frequency. It is nice to go into a
new area, turn on the APRS station and watch it "learn" who and what is around
you. I'm starting to play with traditional packet and find this missing
feature very frustrating.

I suspect that APRS will be replaced by some "superior" technology. It may be
commercial solutions (i.e., GPS enabled cell phones are growing in popularity)
or something in the amateur world like D-Star.

Just my 2 cents.

On Sun, October 29, 2006 6:44 pm, Jim Duncan wrote:
> APRS will die a slow death within 10 year if we don't do something about
> getting away from 1200 baud. Many areas are close to packet saturation.
[big snip]

--
William McKeehan
KI4HDU
Internet: mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
http://mckeehan.homeip.net

Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
     - Ralph Waldo Emerson