[aprssig] APRS data entry device

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Sun Oct 29 14:47:46 EST 2006

> Anyone interested in scanning bar codes should know about the Cue Cat
> barcode reader. Originally intended as a privacy invading tool by big
> business and given away for 'free', they are cheap and have been
> declawed (made safe).

I've got a couple kicking around.  They work, more or less, but they have a
lot of trouble reading some smaller barcodes.  Not counting shipping, I paid
$5 for the Symbol scanner I'm using, and it's way, way better than a Cue
Cat.  Keep in mind that lots of PCs don't even come with serial ports these
days, so for most people serial barcode scanners are worthless.  They happen
to be perfect for APRS, though.  Watch eBay and you'll probably be able to
find one cheap.

Scott
N1VG