[aprssig] TH-D7 and Megellan Meridian Color...

Jason D. Triolo jasonacg at citicom.com
Mon Oct 16 23:38:29 EDT 2006

I'm a D7 owner with the Sportrak Pro from Magellan, which is a Meridian
without color or removable memory, and in a smaller package. All of the
core functions are the same.

I have the GPS on the v2.1 GSA setting, although I recall having success
with the other settings as well.

It is possible to have success with running the GPS at 9600--the D7 (at
least my model) can handle it. However, for compatibility reasons, run
it at 4800. This is crucial if you want to share a single COM port with
the radio and a GPS receiver (UI-View, for example).

In the "Waypoint" menu of the D7, be sure it is set to "6digits MGN" so
that inbound data is properly stored as waypoints on the Meridian.

There should be no reason to run any gender changers between the radio
and the GPS. If it's there, my suggestion is to get rid of it. Once the
three wires are connected properly, and once the GPS has a signal, it
should come to life.

Color-coding should be as follows:
Magellan Pin 2 (Orange) to White
Magellan Pin 3 (Yellow) to Red
Magellan Pin 5 (Black) to Ground
Magellan Red is used for power only, and has no use in data transfer.

If you can get your hands on an extra Magellan cable, just remove the
serial plug altogether and directly splice the wires between the two
devices. Doiong so will also make the cable more compact for travel.

Fear not...the radio and the GPS are compatible. You may just learn some
new expletives on the journey (be sure the radio is off during this
discovery phase), but it can be done.

Hope this helps. Drop me a line if you need more info.

73 de Jason KD4ACG