[aprssig] Bandwidth IS THE FUTURE OF APRS

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 14:30:08 EDT 2006

On 10/12/06, wa7nwp <wa7nwp at jnos.org> wrote:
> We have to change the way we look at things.
>
> YouTube feeds 100 MILLION!!!  Videos a day.   Those Videos are in
> Megabytes.   (You all saw the dramatic 4th episode of Chad Vader - right?)

I agree that higher bandwidth is needed for other applications, but
not for APRS.   "End User" APRS at 1200bps is a good match of needs
vs. readily available and cheap equipment.  APRS does not need
additional bandwidth to perform within its primary scope and designed
function.  Increase the bandwidth or operating frequency and you
increase the complexity and cost of an already robust network.

There are plenty of applications that would benefit from higher
bandwidth and higher frequencies and I'm all for that, but in my
opinion APRS should be kept "simple" because it functions better that
way.

--
A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com