[aprssig] Bandwidth IS THE FUTURE OF APRS

wa7nwp wa7nwp at jnos.org
Thu Oct 12 11:46:33 EDT 2006

>>I do agree that the above beacon is
> absolutely wasteful of bandwidth!

We have to change the way we look at things.

YouTube feeds 100 MILLION!!!  Videos a day.   Those Videos are in
Megabytes.   (You all saw the dramatic 4th episode of Chad Vader - right?)

It's 2006.  We're still running 1200 baud  (nope - didn't forget the K
at the end of that -- hard to believe.)   We panic if somebody actually
adds an extra hop to their path.  Here we're counting fraking bytes in a
status packet.

We have incredible technology just waiting to be put to use.  We have
dozens of vastly underused channels.  We probably have Megabytes in the
Microwave spectrum that's dead dead dead.

Lets work on moving on - not digging a deeper hole then what we already
have.

Quiet air is wasted air - make packets!

73
Bill - WA7NWP