[aprssig] Help with DSL Modem

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 22:13:35 EDT 2006

On 10/10/06, Mark Fellhauer <sparkfel at qwest.net> wrote:
> For some reason the old router works perfectly, but a new WRT54GS and a
> D-Link WBR-1310 REFUSE to accept an IP address on the WAN side from the
> Westell.   I even spent about an hour with a Verizon tech and stumped her too.

Hi Mark,

I work for a wireless ISP and we use a lot of the WRT54G's for
customer installs.  On occasion, we have had some brand new out of the
box units where the WAN port would not work.  You would get a link
light and everything would appear to be okay, but it would not get an
IP address from the backbone no matter what.  Plug a different WRT54G
in, and it would work fine.  It is possible that you just got a bad
unit.  Since your other router works, it would point to the WRT54G as
the problem.  If you can, take it back and exchange it for another.

Having said that, the Linksys WRT54G units are excellent routers
overall and we rarely have any problems.

--
A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com