[aprssig] 9600b UHF APRS IS THE FUTURE OF APRS

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Tue Oct 10 04:13:09 EDT 2006

Yeah right...  Even APRS's "low bandwidth" use, at 2GBP a meg, (or more
expensive) it'll add up to some serious GPRS or 3G bill's.

Take great care hyping "other" methods of propogating APRS, not all the
world has free 'net on their phones, and other teritories can (are) very
fussy about what we transmit on UHF.  In the UK, for a long time now,
unatended operation at 70cms has been prohibited, except for established
voice repeaters etc.  There is light at the end of the tunnel, but it
may yet be a freight train coming at us.

Also, please remember, we don't all have the same frequency allocation.
The UK (and EU) is 430 to 440, and much of that in parts of the UK is
unusable, as commercial users are in there too.  Our "Primary" user of
that band is the military, and they have the final say anyway.

Don't get me started on the HDTV discussion topic, here we are being
pressed more and more to "go digital", but the program material is pure
crap of the lowest order, sadly much of it imported from the US
sadly!...   What is now regarded as "HD"TV, we used to have exactly that
quality with good UHF analog, but that is now corrupted with the noise
(literaly) of the terestrial digital signals, not that many people had
their sets properly setup in th first place.

Take care.   As quoted re the AK-47, low tech' gets the job done, and is
resilaint to user abuse.

Dave G0WBX.

This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited.  www.palmercook.co.uk