[aprssig] Maxon data radios

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Tue Oct 10 03:22:29 EDT 2006

Andrew,

If you want a dedicated radio for 2m APRS in Australia, get hold of a
Philips FM828 (A band). Strictly speaking you should get a B band to
cover 145.175MHz but I've never had any problem getting the A band
radios to tune down to as low as 144.700MHz, and I've "converted" many.
Besides, A band are common, B band are as scarce as hen's teeth. You
shouldn't pay any more than $10 for the radio, plus about $50 for a set
of *DECENT* crystals. You can buy *rubber* crystals for less. The FM828
will run 25W 24/7/365 and would be one of the most reliable radios ever
built anywhere in the world.

Ray VK2TV