[aprssig] 9600b UHF APRS IS THE FUTURE OF APRS

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Mon Oct 9 13:50:18 EDT 2006

It's not all about going faster.  Data rate alone is never going to be the
way to fix the system.

I'm also not convinced that a cellular style system is ever going to
succeed.  Hams are good at developing high elevation repeater sites, and
it's much easier to build and manage a few large systems than a bunch of
small ones that might need to be in inconvenient places.  Home-based systems
are another matter, but we'll never have them in all the right places.

Run timeslotting with 200 msec slots, have digis provide at least some loose
coordination of slot assignment (overlapping coverage areas and odd band
openings complicate assignment schemes) and you could have hundreds of
stations on a single channel with a cycle time of a few minutes.  Now, add a
multichannel receiver at the digi site (maybe gnuradio based) and you can
multiply that capacity by the number of channels available.  The dedicated
downlink from the digi can run at 9600 with no collisions, so you could
still get all of the local traffic by listening to a single frequency.

Baud rate is NOT the primary limiting factor in APRS.  We could probably
increase our channel capacity by 50% if we could just get everyone to set a
reasonable txdelay and stop using long comments on every packet.  I see way
too many short Mic-E packets with a 30-character comment tacked on to every
position report.  Not to mention D700's with half-second txdelays...

Scott
N1VG