[aprssig] 9600b UHF APRS IS THE FUTURE OF APRS

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Oct 9 11:06:15 EDT 2006

> I wish the FCC would come along and declare the
> future of APRS will be on 440 at 9600 baud,

Depends on what one thinks APRS is.

This clamor for 440 at 9600 baud flies in the face of physics if you want good general coverage. VHF is 9 dB better than UHF for omni antnenas (think mogbiles) AND
it has less multipath and fades.

So APRS at UHF may have practical applications, but serving as a general distribution it will never be as "good" as VHF.  SUre all those problems can be fixed with 3 times more digis to cover the same area, but I doubt it will ever be practical for general coverage like VHF.

Bob