[aprssig] first.aprs.net

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Wed Oct 4 21:08:06 EDT 2006

> system and properly kills power to the whole room.  Or someone
> accidentally snags the big red button on the way out the door
> (despite it being properly guarded).  Or had the fire marshall tell

I'd always wondered if that button really worked, given how screwed up the
power situation was in our network control center.  The alarm repair guy
answered that question - knocked the guard off and managed to jam it against
the button in the process of trying to catch it.  Turns out it only worked
on 2/3 of the machines in the room.  And then we realized that no one there
knew how to reset the system.

> running.  Or had a generator oil pressure sensor fail 5
> minutes after
> the generator starts.  Etc...

Been there, too.  The building housing all of the off-base connectivity
always had the worst generator.

Only fix for that sort of thing is multiple-site redundancy.  That costs
money, though - and takes a lot of effort to do right.

Scott
N1VG