[aprssig] Packet test

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Mon Nov 27 11:41:39 EST 2006

Destination address should start with AP.  You can get a product identifier
from Bob if you don't want to use the generic APRS tocall.  SSID value
should be whatever the user selects - the use of SSIDs for station type is
deprecated.  You can hard-code the control byte to 0x03 and the PID to 0xf0.
I'd have to check on the address field C bits.  I'm pretty sure I've got the
one on the tocall set to 1, and on the fromcall set to 0.

For the proper CRC-CCITT algorithm, check my page at
<http://n1vg.net/packet>.  It lists the bitwise version of the algorithm,
and has a link to the reference I used for the OpenTracker.  The bitwise
algorithm doesn't require any lookup tables and can be done with shifts and
XORs - it may not be as fast, but it's very compact.

What are you using for the AFSK modulation?  Are you doing it in hardware or
software?

Until I saw your email address, I didn't realize that you're in Santa
Barbara - I'm an hour up the road from you in Santa Maria.  Do you know
Bruce Gordon, N6OLT?  I've used his DF equipment for years.

If you want a lower traffic list for a peer review of your message, you
might try the APRSSPEC list.  It's mostly just us developers over there, and
no one minds esoteric discussions of protocol details.

Scott
N1VG