[aprssig] What's this symbol?

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at kd4rdb.com
Sun Nov 26 11:52:32 EST 2006

The new S, L and P overlays for the new settings on the digipeaters. The *
"S"* fully support WIDEn-N and SSn-N for *State or section* routing. The *
"L"* digis are the same but are limited and do not support state routing,
and the *"P"* digis are old Paccomm Trace digis that have been configured to
support WIDEn-N. In some extreme areas, one-hop digis (like in LA) and
fill-in WIDE1-1 only digis will have the "1" to show they are an enforced
1-hop digi.

Eventually we hope that ALL digipeaters in the USA will change over to these
new *S, L or P* Overlays to show they have upgraded their settings to the
New N Paradigm. Also a common notation set in the position comment text of
the position report should summarize what the digi now supports. See *See
the Details on Overlays and the proper form for the Position Comment
Text*<http://eng.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/n-n-overlays.txt>.

On 11/26/06, Michael R. Owen <nlsa at nlsa.com> wrote:

> Dear friends,
> What does this symbol mean?
> The 6-pointed star means a digipeater, but what does the superimposed "S"
> signify?  I looked through
> http://wa8lmf.net/miscinfo/APRS_Symbol_Chart.pdf but could not find a
> match.  The various text files describing symbols that I found on the Web
> hard to decipher.
>
> 73,
> W9IP
>
> --
> Michael R. Owen, Ph.D.
> Northern Lights Software Associateshttp://www.nlsa.com

In theory there is no difference between practice and theory.