[aprssig] Great APRS story

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at kd4rdb.com
Tue Nov 7 12:44:43 EST 2006

Just got this in from a local ham who is "soldiering" in iraq right now.
Wes
Where there's silence, there is no Hope.

From: <johnnie.l.broadway k2jlb>
To: xx4xx at arrl.net
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 02:29:31 +0300
Subject:
Hi there,

I don't know if you were aware or not but prior to deployment, I was in a
very bad wreck. I fell asleep driving back to Fort Bragg at 0200 and hit
another car. I broke my left thumb and had severe bruising on my ribs.  As
for the other party involved, no one else was hurt. Anyway, the reason that
I am telling you this is because I didn't have my cell phone with me and I
had to use APRS to get help. I was about 17 miles from Lumberton NC when the
wreck happened. I couldn't raise anyone on the voice repeaters in that area
so I started an emergency beacon and after about the thrid beacon, I had
several stations contact me....including one in Charleston SC. I, at the
time, had no idea where I was because I was kinda in shock but one of the
stations gave my gps cordinates to the NC HP and they came right to me in
about 45 min. I couldn't believe that the aprs system worked that well. I am
a true believer!!