[aprssig] Re: *** APRS TNC Test CD Now Available *** --- Can't Play It

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Nov 6 15:10:38 EST 2006

dave at emv.co.uk wrote:
> Hi...
>
> Well, here are my findings, for what it's worth...
>

> The CD (Deluxe) player does not produce any sound, though it appears
> to "play" the disk, that is, you can hear the disk drive start
> and move the pickup about etc, and the numbers go round, but no sound.
>
> WiMP (V 9.0.x.x.xx)  Plays it OK, even ignoring the first data track,
> so getting the announcements right for the displayed track numbers.
> Interesting watching the tones with some of the spectral waterfall
> type of visualisations...
>
> Interestingly, the W2k CD player, does not produce any sound with a
> genuine audio CD.  Hmmm..   Currently listening to the 1492 CD
> (Vangelis) via WiMP while I type this.
>
> As to the data track.  (TNC test disk in another drive now, a DVD-+RW)
>
> The RTF file is corrupt, all I get (in any of 3 RTF compatible
> readers) is pages of square blocks, the Null character I think.
>
> Several of the .gif's are also corrupt, neither IE6 nor Paint Shop Pro
> (V7) will open them.  IE shows the frame with a red X in the top
> left.  PSP burps and says it's not a valid gif format file.
>
> 1200-2200-DeEmph.gif is OK, as is the "flat" version of this.  All the
> other .gif's are bad.
>
> The DigiStar.ico file is also corrupt, just a load of null bytes.
>
> The Autorun.inf file, is likewise corrupt, just a line of block
> characters.
>
> At least I can play the audio tracks on a "real" audio player!
>
> My guess is your original Roxio file was OK, but odd things happened
> during the conversion to the Nero format.
>
> It's worth noting, that there were some recent updates for part of the
> Roxio system, as some of the drivers caused compatibility trouble with
> other programs, auto updates etc...
>
> All the best.
>
> Dave G0WBX.

1)     I think the CDplayer app only issues the mechanical transport
controls for the drive. If some other sound-using app has taken over
control of the audio pathways through the Windows sound system,
CDplayer can't reclaim them.

2)     I've heard enough complaints about the corrupted  RTF and image
files in the Nero version to conclude that someting is wrong with that
version of the file.    I'm going to remove references to the Nero
version of the file from my website.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   TNC Test CD