[aprssig] RE: Re: *** APRS TNC Test CD Now Available *** --- Can't Play It

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Nov 6 12:22:34 EST 2006

dave at emv.co.uk wrote:
> Hi..
>

> Thinking about it, having a "data" track at the beginning, not the end
> of the compilation may indeed screw up some players, probably the more
> capable ones too, after all my old Discman just "played" it (silently)
> as any other track, perhaps some players "see" a data track, then assume
> the rest is data?  Most other mixed format CD's I've seen, have the
> audio stuff first, then the other content...   Not tried it myself with
> WiMP yet.
>
> WiMP, is however renown for sometimes doing odd things with mixed
> content disks, and also for the several odd way's to make it behave,
> though it does seem to vary from one machine to another.

1)   I created the disk originally with Roxio Easy CD Creator 6.0 .
CD Creator's default behavior for a "Mixed Mode Disk Project" is to
place the data track first, and then the audio track(s).

2)   Using Easy CD Creator, I then made an image file in Roxio .CIF
format because the widely used and nearly universal.ISO format only
supports data-onlyCDs; not audio or mixed-mode disks.

3)   I initially only posted the disk image in the Adaptec/Roxio .CIF
format.

4)   Someone else then converted the .CIF image to Nero .NRG format
using a third-party format-conversion utility. Given that all the
complaints so far on various lists has involved disks made from the Nero
version, I am wondering if the CIF->NRG conversion was less than
perfect.  I simply have no way of knowing if the conversion was
perfectly accurate.  Since I don't have or use Nero Burning ROM, I can't
test or vouch for the .NRG version of the file.

Finally,

5)   Win 2000's "CD Player" applet (not Media Player) plays the disk
just fine, allowing you to easily skip over the first (data) track that
some CD drives mistakenly think is an unplayable audio track.    The
applet "CDplayer.exe" produces a user interface that looks like a
typical car stereo CD player.  It is a single 330K exe file located in
the /SYSTEM32 subdirectory underneath the main Windows directory.
This file requires no installation or hooks to the Windows registry.  It
can be copied from a Win 2K system and easily used with Windows XP.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   TNC Test CD
  http://wa8lmf.net/TNCtest